Welcome to my first blog post since launching my brand-new website!
If you could describe your 2016 with one word, what would it be?
I would choose “change”. In 2016 I moved to Cape Town, got engaged, started my own business and took on my masters’ study in dietetics. It was a year of excitement and fear. This made me think of the words by our former president, Nelson Mandela: ‘may your choices reflect your hope, not your fears’
The start of a new year is a great time to talk about which choices you will be making and what you will be doing different in 2017… Do your goals make you feel hopeful or scared?
Here are my hopes for you in 2017:
- I hope you decide to nourish your body with real, good food instead of following the latest fad diets
- I hope you strive for “better than last year, or better than last week, or even just better than yesterday”, instead of setting impossible goals
- I hope you listen to what your body really wants: better food, more water, more exercise, a bit more sleep
- I hope you enjoy life’s moments without stressing too much about your body. Be kind to yourself and reward yourself now and then
- I hope you realize that one moment of indulgence does not mean you failed
- I hope you appreciate and savour every bite of healthy food you take and feel the way it nurtures your body
- I hope you enjoy a meal with a friend or family, instead of sitting in front of the TV and mindlessly eat away
I want to finish with the words of Winston Churchill: “Success is not final, failure is not fatal – it is the courage to continue that counts”.
Whether your goal is to get fit, or to feel more energized or to fit into those pair of jeans you always loved – no one said it would be easy, but it will be worth it!