It is important to keep hydrated during hot summer days. But, it is also important to consider the type of drink you choose as these can be loaded with sugar and empty calories. Try this low-calory ice tea recipe for a refreshing, guilt-free drink on hot summer days.
Rooibos, pomegranate and cinnamon iced tea
Preparation time: 30 minutes
2 L Water
4 Rooibos tea bags
1 Cinnamon stick
1 Fresh orange, washed
1 sachet Xylitol (optional)
- Boil 2L of water.
- Put the tea bags into a large jug or bowl (min 2L), and add the boiling water.
- Add the cinnamon stick and orange slices.
- Leave the tea to cool to room temperature, or even better, leave to steep overnight.
- Strain the tea to remove the teabags, cinnamon and orange
- Stir in xylitol to sweeten to taste. I would recommend adding little bits at a time until the desired sweetness is reached.
- Add the fresh pomegranate jewels and top up with ice to serve.
8. Serve in large jars for a vintage feel and add some fresh herbs or edible flowers for a fresh summery touch.